EPCA presents its film on STEM Education (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
Did you know that petroleum is a big supporter of your daily lifestyle and helps to shape a better future? No?
Let us give you a few examples: Sneakers, smartphones and toothbrushes – all of these rely on petroleum derivatives and the chemical industry in one way or another. In addition to this, they also contribute to products and services such as sustainable drinking water supplies and health care for people all around the world. However, the resource itself is only one part of the puzzle: the chemical industry is in search of young talent to help create innovative solutions and ideas that match our world’s evolving and ever-increasing needs.
Meet the team:
- Chemical engineer 1st class
- Loves products life cycle
- Petroleum Engineer
- Focus on Production & Sustainability
The Chemical Producer
- Top notch Chemist
- Health & Safety First
- Exquisite Economist
- Goes with the Flow of Oil (logistics)
- Chemicals & Services
The Amazing PRL_O1L Super-Drone
- Interior body: Crude oil
- Designed to Serve & Last forever
- Designed to progress
- Operated by solar energy
Lifestyle & Safety
Protective lightweight plastic helmet
- Protect the head against impact
- Solid part made of expanded polystyrene (EPS)
Synthetic textile for safety wear (e.g. gloves)
- Made of polyester with impact gel in silicon or polyurethane skin and is surrounded by aramid fibres (e.g. Kevlar, polycarbonate) so as not to get cut.
Transformation into new products
- Positive action to recycle and give a second (and third…) life to products
- Sweater made from recycled fishing nets by ECONYL®. ECONYL® is an Italian brand based in Milan focusing on fashionable t-shirts made of recycled fishing nets made with 100% regenerated nylon
- Waste is useful and can be re-used and brought back to being useful and practical to our lives
Healthcare & Wellbeing
Multifunctional, light & cool Smart Phone
- The glass of the screen is transparent and light thanks to the polycarbonate protective envelope which can be made in various cool colours whilst remaining impact and scratch resistant
Plastic 3D Printed Hip
- Made of polyamide (Nylon) a polyethylene or polypropylene, this means that:
- it is shock and vibration resistant,
- it is very lightweight,
- and it takes the impact of jumping and running
Innovations due to the Petrochemical Industry:
3D printing brings a host of benefits that more traditional methods of manufacturing have not been able to match.
- Customization: 3D printing allows for mass customization and therefore can match individual needs
- Smaller machines can be located at a local or personal level, thereby reducing transport emission and costs, as well as reducing the time it takes to receive the personalized item or part
- Tool-free: in traditional industrial manufacturing, the need for tools is necessary. The development and production of tools is a standard feature of these processes. 3D printing has eliminated this need and thereby the costs, lead times and labour associated with it.
Consumer Goods & Healthcare
95% of all manufactured goods like electronics, furniture, appliances, textiles, and many more, are based on petrochemicals.
- Running shoes: For comfort and support, the mid-sole of running shoes can be made from ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA)
- Toothbrushes consist of a plastic handle and nylon bristles
- Electronics: The plastic casing of a mobile phone is usually made of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
- Straws: Polypropylene is the material of choice for drinking straws
Automotive & Aeronautics
Petrochemicals offer the automotive industry polyamides, specialty polymers and composites that improve performance and contribute significantly to lighter vehicles. Fluorinated electrolytes and lithium salts improve the efficiency of batteries. These solutions enable automakers to meet constantly rising global standards such as rare earth oxides for catalysis and silica’s for tire labelling. In the aeronautics market, the chemical, mechanical and thermal resistance properties of products derived from petrochemicals contribute to the efficient performance and safety of airplanes.
Agro, Feed & Food
Greenhouses: within greenhouses, plants are exposed to sunlight and can grow in controlled conditions based upon their individual requirements. Greenhouses allow farmers to have the ability to grow plants in controlled environmental conditions that plants require for faster and safer growth, to avoid extreme temperatures and protect crops from harmful external conditions.
Image courtesy of Sura Nualpradid at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Energy & Environment
The blades of a wind turbine are typically made of reinforced polyester, with the tips insulated for lightning protection amongst a host of insulations and coatings to allow for the demands of wind turbines
Image courtesy of kongsky at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Building & Construction
Insulation: Plastics insulation is simple to install both in existing and in new buildings. It is also highly durable and cost-effective over time, and performs at the same high level over the whole life span of a building. Plastics insulation tends to save up to 16% more energy overall than alternative options when considering the life-cycle of the products in question.